CNY is coming! Going to bake cake? Why not bake Kek Sarang Semut?
The first thing I cook with Tefal Initial Rice Cooker with Spherical Pot Fuzzy Logic RK7401 is this cake. I didn’t expect it to be so easy and it works so well. This is the fourth attempt making kek gula hangus aka sarang semut aka Hong Kong cake.
My first time making Kek Sarang Semut can be seen here ( https://youtu.be/_YmtrIFK3eE ), my second time can be seen here ( https://youtu.be/hTh9MyujaU4 ), while third time making it here ( https://youtu.be/vKpU5fLe1OY ).
Here’s the recipe…
CARAMEL (Do this first so that it has time to cool, it might take hours to cool depending on your pot and room temperature. While waiting, I paint my nails haha…)
1 Cup Sugar
1 Cup Freshly Boiled Water
1/3 Cup Butter
1. Melt sugar with low heat.
2. Once melted, pour in freshly boiled hot water. Gently stir till caramel no more sticky.
3. Let it boils for 1-2 minutes.
4. Off the fire, add in butter and let it melts.
5. Leave it to cool to room temperature.
4 Grade B (medium) Eggs
1/2 Cup Condensed Milk
1 Tsp Vanilla Essence
1 Cup All-purpose Flour
2 Tsp Bicarbonate Soda
1. Mix eggs, condensed milk, and vanilla essence until incorporated.
2. Sift flour and bicarbonate soda (baking soda) into the mixture.
3. Stir them gently until as smooth as you can. Some lumps are fine, no big deal.
4. Filter it into a bowl.
5. Proof in room temperature for at least 1 1/2 hour, max 2 hours. (Some people said that they didn’t proof it. They bake it straight away and it still works, you can try at your own risk :D)
6. Grease the pot.
7. Pour the batter into the pot.
8. Start cooking with “Rice” mode.
9. It will beep when it’s done.
10. Let it cool before you remove your cake from the pot.
Here’s my unboxing video of the rice cooker https://youtu.be/xP50ppq6aH4
Have fun trying 🙂