Tried to make caramel bread popcorn after seeing it everywhere on TikTok and friends were making it too. I decided to add salt to the caramel because I prefer salted caramel to caramel. To make your life easier, just buy croutons and make the caramel or use an air fryer or oven to dry the bread cubes. Toasting them in a pan is just too time consuming and messy with all the crumbs.
Ingredients and instructions:
1. Bread cut into cube (any bread you like, I did not count/measure the quantity, I just used whatever was left).
2. Toast them until crispy with a pan or air fryer(110Â°C for 10-15 minutes, constantly check on them from time to time so that you don’t burn them).
3. Melt 6 Tbsp Sugar and 2 Tbsp Water over medium heat, do not stir until it’s bubbling.
4. Add 2 Tbsp Butter and 1 Tsp Salt. Continue stirring until golden brown.
5.Once it turned golden brown, immediately remove it from the heat source if not you will end up with bitter caramel. (My caramel was overcooked in the video…)
6. Add in the bread cubes aka croutons into the pan with salted caramel, stir quickly while the caramel is still hot.
7. Spread them on greased paper to cool and dry.
8. Store in air tight container. Line the container with greased paper NOT kitchen towel!