This was what I thought when I connected it to my D-link DSL-500T ADSL modem. It was supposed to be an easy set up following the user manual provided but it turned out that it took us almost 2 hours and ended up with nothing.
When both the router and modem were connected and all the settings were done, there’s no Internet at all even though the Internet light was on. According to the user manual, it means there’s Internet access but there wasn’t! We did a direct connection without the wireless router, the Internet worked just fine but once connected to the router, there’s no Internet but LAN only. Furthermore the IP conflicted with my modem. Changed the IP but still didn’t work. It’s not easy to set up at all!
So I did a search on Google and didn’t get anything. Then decided to try lowyat.net forum. Guess what?!?! The search result showed me that more than 80% of the threads created were all asking about the same problem! Only one thread has the answer. So I decided to post it here in my blog so that it’s easier for people to search.
Here you go… Do it step-by-step and you won’t go wrong. It works with any D-link ADSL modem:
- RESET both modem and router then switch off the power supply
- Connect them up and switch on the power supply
- Open your browser and type 192.168.1.1 in the address bar (Since both modem and router have the same IP address, this situation will make it connect to the router first before the modem)
- Key in username :admin password: admin.
- NETWORK – LAN (This is in D-Link)
Set the IP Address to 192.168.2.1.
Subnet, no need to do anything.
Save and reboot and the WIFI new IP Address become 192.168.2.1
- NETWORK – WAN (This is in Aztech)
Change WAN Connection Type to STATIC IP
IP address : 192.168.1.2
Subnet Mask : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway : 192.168.1.1
MTU Size (in bytes): 1400~1500 (mine is 1500)
(settings below are for those using Streamyx, if you are using other service provider, get the details from them)
Primary DNS : 220.127.116.11
Secondary DNS : 18.104.22.168
- WIRELESS – WIRELESS SETTINGS (This is in Aztech)
SSID : Any name you want
Region : Your country
Channel : Any number you like
Mode : Just pick the biggest number will do
Wireless Router Radio : Tick if you want to use wireless
SSID Broadcast : Show your wireless to the public
Wireless Security : Tick to secure it else anyone can use free Internet
- For this part, it’s up to you on which type you want. Use any that you are comfortable with. Example given is:
Security Type : WPA-PSK/WPA2-PSK
Security Option : WPA-PSK
Encryption : TKIP
PSK Passphrase : Anything you like
Group Key Update Period : 0 (if you lazy to change your password frequently)
- Go to your modem setting page. Type 192.168.1.1 in your browser address bar and set up as usual with the wizard by keying in your username and password for your Internet.
That’s it! You can now surf the net! These are not taught in the user manual at all! I almost wanted to bang my head to the wall! Very frustrating! It was so nerve wrecking when waiting for the Internet to come back after we did all the above. What if it doesn’t work!??! There’s no other solution in the net except this!!
Luckily someone in lowyat.net shared this tips else I really didn’t know what to do.